John Dailey, Lauren Tafoya, Darlene Loo-McDowell, Bonnie McInturf, Karen Reed, Todd Stout. Executive Director, Connie Hodsdon and Convention Coordinator Kathy Marshburn
The meeting was called to order at 8:08 PM EST
Minutes from the April 20, 2020 meeting were reviewed. Todd Stout motioned for approval and John Dailey second. The minutes were approved by all.
The Treasurer’s report was reviewed, Darlene Loo-McDowell motioned for approval and Todd Stout second. The financials were approved by all
Tropical Wings- Belize:
- Connie has sent $400.00 to Tropical Wings Nature Center in Belize to fund the purchase of a water pump.
- Lauren has confirmed the receipt and purchase of the pump. She has completed a write-up and acquired pictures for posting to the web site and to distribute to the membership through and e-mail. Connie will handle the posting in the next few days.
It was previously decided that the membership dues be waived for the 2020-2021 operational year for all current members. John prepared an announcement to the current members of this IBBA CARES act. There has been a resounding response of appreciation by current members to this.
- A discussion on the possible need to cancel the November IBBA Conference in Oklahoma due to Covid restrictions and the possible lack funds for individuals to be able to afford participation was discussed. David Bohlken, conference site host, has confirmed it would be an option to use his facility next year if decided to postpone the event.
- Kathy Marshburn suggested the BOD consider a “Virtual” conference in place of live or postpone this year’s event and move the date of a live conference meeting next year. Kathy expressed her concern that if the format is changed to an on-line event that the planning and execution needs to be “top notch” as attendance would be international.
- It was decided to conduct a survey using a tool such as Survey Monkey to acquire feed back from the membership on the probability of their attendance at a live function. Todd and Kathy will design a questionnaire addressing a live conference format, an on-line option, or a combination of both for members to give their feedback for further discussion and decision.
- It was agreed that a minimum of 25 participants would be required to proceed with a live conference and the decision to proceed would need to be made by June for announcement.
Educational Rearing Kits:
- John Dailey announced the placement of a Google ad for educational rearing kits is ready for launch. The agreed upon budget of $3,000 is to be allocated at $1,500 per month for the next two (2) months. Additional funding would be considered after accessing the success of this initial ad placement.
- The selecting of key words in the online advertising copy that would help place the IBBA at the top of the search engine field led to several suggestions:
- Summer Activity, Summer Fun, Raise Butterflies, Educational Kits, Caterpillars, Metamorphosis, Pollinator, and STEM.
- Connie described the flow that the ad copy would point viewers to click through to the IBBA web page> to the tab Raise Butterflies> to where to buy butterflies and caterpillars by zone. They then would select a vendor from the membership list and contact them directly.
- It was suggested that a symbol of some sort be placed by the members to identify who on the membership roster are sellers of rearing kits. Connie will explore this possibility with Savi.
- Kathy Marshburn has prepared a video on the permit application process that is available to all IBBA members through the IBBA web site. All IBBA members are encouraged to apply for this new permit option even if they are not currently prepared to participate in rearing kit sales. Kathy suggested that a reminder be sent to all members to proceed with the application process and that she is available to assist anyone with the process
- Connie Hodsdon announced that she has received several questions from kit customers as to the status of their order. The IBBA cannot be responsible for responding to these inquiries. We must encourage member vendors to respond to each order they receive to maintain good customer relations and protect the image and reputation of the IBBA.
How to increase the presence of the IBBA on social media sites in order to gain a better position on Google advertising was again discussed. Since ad placement is driven by quality score it was suggestion that we again encourage all members to “like” the IBBA Facebook page & share “likes” on all social media platforms.
- The establishing of a video contest was proposed by John Dailey through and e-mail to the BOD. These submissions could then be used on the IBBA Facebook and YouTube sites. He proposed that a prize of $100 for first, $50 for second and $25 for third be awarded.
- There have been approximately 40 submissions. John will make these available to the BOD and asked that they view the submissions and vote the winners.
Meeting adjourned at 9:04 PM EST