Present Board Members: John Dailey, Lauren Tafoya, Darlene Loo-McDowell, Bonnie McInturf, Todd Stout, Monrita Tate. Executive Director, Connie Hodsdon and Convention Coordinator Kathy Marshburn
The meeting was called to order at 8:04 PM EST.
The motion to approve the 2020 slate of IBBA Board Members as voted by the general membership was approved.
Minutes from the May 18, 2020 meeting were reviewed. Darlene Loo-McDowell motioned for approval and Monrita Tate second. The minutes were approved by all.
The Treasurer’s report was reviewed, Todd Stout motioned for approval and Darlene Loo-McDowell second. The financials were approved by all.
Connie Hodsdon reported that the previously approved $4,500 for the social media campaign expenses has been transferred to the IBBA checking account.
- A discussion on the need to cancel the November IBBA Conference in Oklahoma due to Covid restrictions was discussed and the decision was made to move to an online format. David Bohlken, conference site host, has confirmed it would be an option to use his facility for the next scheduled conference.
- Kathy Marshburn asked the BOD to consider the scope of a “Virtual” conference. She expressed her concern that with the format changed to an on-line event that the planning and execution needs to be “top notch” as attendance could be international. She also noted that the time difference not only nationally but internationally for participants would need to be considered.
- How to proceed with an online conference included discussion on:
- How many hours of scheduled conference should be offered? It was decided that the conference span three (3) days on the dates previously designated as the IBBA 2020 Conference, November 6th,7th & 8th with nine (9) topics offered over the three (3) days.
- A Meet and Greet event held on Zoom on Friday evening that might be formatted as a happy hour.
- Webinar on-line classes be scheduled at various times. It was suggested that there be three (3) per day each running 30 minutes with one (1) in a mid-morning time slot and two (2) sessions in the afternoon on both Friday and Saturday. A schedule of events would need to be posted to the web site for participants to plan to attend, register and log into the session.
- It was also suggested that longer informational/teaching prerecorded sessions be held with a live workshop and Q&A to follow.
- Using Slide shows/ PowerPoint presentations both live and/or prerecorded be offered to the selected presenters.
- Consideration of charging for each session and pricing them independently rather than a flat conference fee was discussed. All agreed that there should be a charge for non-members to participate. A decision on a charge for members was not confirmed.
- All agreed that all sessions be recorded for future availability on the IBBA site for those who could not attend on the scheduled conference dates.
- Holding an online auction was discussed. All donations would need to be mailed to the winner by the person offering the item.
- John made the submitted videos available to the BOD and asked that they view the submissions and vote the winners. All the submissions may be used on the IBBA Facebook and YouTube sites.
- A prize of $100 for first was awarded to Melanie Intravatola for “Belize”, $50 for second was awarded to Tatia Veltkamp for “Pupa to Butterfly” and $25 for third awarded to Roberta Vigil for “Very Hungry Caterpillar.
- There has been a surge in new membership. Connie Hodsdon has planned an on-line course that will span several weeks to help the new members “learn how to raise” with the outcome that if they so desire, they would have stock available for sale this season.
- Connie has asked that current members volunteer to mentor the new members. She announced that there has been a great response and that the mentors collectively have over 300 years of experience.
- The first session will pair new members with a mentor and cover a profile of each participants space, species commitment, land & plant availability. Each session will be recorded for future use with the intention that future new members will have material available to get started.
- It was suggested that one of the sessions be devoted to the process of filing for permits.
- Connie Hodsdon requested that the BOD consider allocating funds to the continued production of professional quality training videos to add to the IBBA library.
- A motion was made by John Dailey and Second by Todd Stout to allocate $1,000 to produce several professional quality videos.
Release of newly approved species:
- Todd Stout requested that a statement be placed on the IBBA website with regard to the release of subspecies in areas that they do not habitat.
Meeting adjourned at 9:05 PM EST